Chicken Fajitas make a delicious and healthy dinner, the best part of our paleo version is that it is a high protein, low carb option. An easy leftover lunch that incorporates lean protein and plenty of veggies. This recipe uses a seasoning mix that is easy to make and drastically decreases the sodium content of this favorite Tex-Mex dish.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Fajita seasoning mix:
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- ½ jalapeno, minced
- 3 medium red, orange or green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 fresh limes, cut one in half and the other into 6-8 wedges
- In a small bowl combine chili powder and 5 remaining seasoning ingredients. Reserve 2 teaspoons in a separate container for vegetables.
- In a large resealable bag, combine 1 Tablespoon olive oil, juice of 1 lime, and remaining fajita seasoning mix. Seal and shake well to mix ingredients. Add chicken breast strips to bag and seal. Mix chicken and marinade thoroughly. Return to refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes, or until softened and slightly charred. Remove to a medium bowl and keep warm
- Add one tablespoon of oil to the pan and add bell peppers. Sauté peppers until soft, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan, mixing with onions and sprinkle with reserved seasoning mix. Mix vegetables thoroughly and keep warm.
- Add chicken strips and marinade to the same skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, then turn chicken strips and cook until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Place a spoonful of chicken in lettuce leaf, add onion-pepper mix and top with avocado and cilantro. Squeeze lime juice on top.
Makes 4 servings.