This recipe makes a great weeknight dinner because preparation and cooking time are so quick. It makes a great year-round option -- the burgers can be cooked on the grill or in a pan on the stove top. Serve them wrapped in lettuce with all of your favorite vegetable toppings. Add sweet potato fries and a side salad to round out the meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fresh tomato, sliced
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a large bowl combine ground beef or turkey, red onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook 3 minutes, turn and cook an additional 3 minutes, continue turning every 3 minutes (adjusting heat as needed to prevent burning or sticking) for a total of 12 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Place a tomato and avocado slices on burger and wrap in two lettuce leaves.
Makes 4 servings.